Organisations are the primary way to group datasets and users in gDMCP. gDMCP has two types of organisation: institutes and research groups. Each Dataset will belong to a single organisation. gDMCP registered users can be members of one or more organisations. Institutes are managed by the gSTAR data management team and designed to serve the third data publishing mode (managed data publishing). Research groups are designed to serve the first and the second data publishing modes.
For research groups, private datasets are only visible to the members of the research group. Public datasets within each research group are accessible from the public internet. Research group membership is managed by one or more admins. Members of the research groups can have one of the following roles:
- Admin: Can add/edit and delete datasets, as well as manage research group members.
- Editor: Can add and/or edit datasets, but cannot manage research group members (Read/Write)
- Member: Can view the private datasets of the research group, but cannot add new datasets (Read-only).
Each research group has its own storage allocation. Research group creation must be authorised by a system admin. Datasets can be in one of the following states:
- Draft: visible only to the dataset creator. This state is temporary until the dataset creation is complete.
- Private: visible only to the member of the research group associated with this dataset or the system admins if the dataset belongs to an institute.
- Public: visible to all gDMCP users and other anonymous users. Only public datasets are searchable.